LEADERS GROUP- MEMBERS ONLY
LEADERS GROUP- MEMBERS ONLY
LEADERS GROUP SENIORS’ MEMBERS MEMBERSHIP
Calgary's population is aging and there is a lot of work that needs to be done to make sure our seniors remain healthy and independent. We need the support of people like you to help us make decisions about our direction.
Become a member and have your say with voting privileges at our General Meeting. While our board will do the heavy lifting designing our policies and strategy, only our members can say 'yea' or 'nay' and allow these plans to move forward.
If you are concerned about the future of seniors in our city and want to be a part of the conversation become a member today!
To join Leaders Group- Seniors as a member send us a request with a note expressing your interest in membership. Alternately you can call our office at 403-614.9595.
WE NEED YOUR HELP
Leaders Group has been mobilizing volunteers to provide essential services to seniors, and our Seniors Social Supports team is drawing on this depth of experience working with volunteers and senior clients to adapt and respond to the emerging needs.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to unfold, many people are asking what they can do to help those most impacted and at highest risk – seniors. We have heard from our senior clients that they are concerned about their health. They are concerned about how they can get the day-to-day items, like food and medications, they depend on. Many seniors are also socially isolated, and often have no one to talk to about their fears and anxieties. This can lead to increased risk of mental illness, including things like depression and even suicide.
Some seniors have difficultly discerning between real and fake news, and these seniors may need assistance assessing credible information that will keep them healthy and safe. As a result, Calgary Seniors has modified its current Seniors Social Support Programs to offer a fast, effective volunteer delivered set of services that will help address some of the most pressing concerns described above.
Please consider volunteering to support seniors in our community.
• addressing social isolation, including through supporting seniors’ digital literacy
• addressing ageism
mental health and dementia, and
• by developing and delivering virtual programming for the above
• helping seniors navigate access to government benefits and providing support to file their taxes
• supporting financial empowerment of seniors, and
• measures to reduce crimes and harm against seniors
• promoting intergenerational mentoring and engagement, and
• serving members of the following vulnerable groups:
o Indigenous Peoples
o persons with disabilities
o members of racialized and newcomer groups o members of LGBTQ2+ communities, and
o low-income seniors and veterans
• providing practical supports to seniors to help remain in their homes longer For example, providing access to services, tools and resources to help seniors remain in their homes longer.